Monday, February 7, 2011

The Red Cup


Happy Monday! I had such a productive weekend, I am surprised at myself. I completed 2 oil paintings, cooked a turkey, packed moving boxes, and watched the Super Bowl game...for me, that's a big weekend!

For my daily painting, I completed this simple red cup with spoon, a small oil painting. I deliberately used large brushes and kept the strokes loose. I did the opposite with my second painting, as I truly wanted to catch the details in the face of my ten year old boxer, Lucy. Unfortunately, I am still dealing with the glare that I am getting off of the oil whenever I take my photos. It was cold and damp outside, though, and I couldn't use the natural light. I will attempt another photo of the "Lucy" painting prior to posting.

I am still trying to decide which style I enjoy the most - whether the loose, minimalist, painterly approach, or the tightly rendered realistic approach. I know that most artists make a choice, but I honestly enjoy both styles, and choose the one that fits my mood when I stand at the easel.

I hope that you enjoy these paintings. I welcome your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment