Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Little Lady Lucy


Last night I tried to figure out a way to photograph this 12" x 12" oil painting of my boxer, Lucy, so that the glare from the oil would not distract from the details. While this attempt is better than yesterday's effort, there is still glare.

I am simply going to have to use all natural lighting. These expensive "daylight" bulbs are not doing the trick when it comes to photography. My light box didn't prevent the glare, either.

Obviously, photographing my paintings is a journey, not unlike the actual painting process. I shall just keep trying until I find a method that works for me!

As for the painting itself, I worked from a photo that I took of Lucy on a trip to Florida last year. As I painted, I became very aware that my doggie has gotten quite gray in the face, where she previously had worn a "black mask". I guess it happens to all of us, sooner or later.

My Mom loves the picture, since Lucy looks as though she is smiling...people are always telling us that Lucy is smiling at them, so it seems appropriate to capture the expression in oils. This painting was especially fun for me!

I will be back soon, with another daily painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment