Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paintings inspired by my Western Travels...

Prickly Pear

20" x 24"
Acrylic

Traveling is such a great source of inspiration for plein air paintings. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, and Montana. I found each of these areas inspirational in their own right. I discovered that the cactus plant can be quite an interesting subject, just as the beautiful western mountain ranges can be.

I have decided to share a few of these paintings that I created during these travels. I hope that you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed the creative process.

The first (above) is a close-up view of the prickly pear cactus, which is a natural beauty in bloom. The juxtaposition of the sharp, dangerous needles and the delicately colored blooms is amazing!


This acrylic painting encompasses a much broader perspective, and includes a number of local flora.



Cactus Mountain

20" x 24"
Acrylic

No comments:

Post a Comment