Thursday, April 29, 2010

Carousel Ponies

24" x 30"
Acrylic Painting



After creating a number of acrylic paintings featuring genuinely existing horses that I have seen and touched - horses that are traditional shades of brown, black, etc. - I decided that I wanted to break the mold, and paint some very non-traditional, brightly colored horses. In particular, I wanted to paint a very striking red horse I already had pictured in my mind. From these thoughts, "Carousel Ponies" was born. Actually, the black horse in this painting was orginally a zebra, but after much thought, I decided I needed to simplify it. I then "removed the stripes" and modifed to create a flatter, simpler, almost cartoonish look that would make the intense colors, rather than the details of the horses, the "mane attraction". (So sorry, but I just could NOT resist that one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment