Thursday, May 6, 2010

Painting Wildflowers under Cloudy Skies

I typically choose to paint bright, sun-drenched plein air venues; however, I decided that I wanted to use lots of blues and purples for a change. Combining these thoughts with my love of wildflowers, I began this painting with the purplish-blue background in different cool shades of acrylic. Greens came next, as I blocked in the naturally growing wildflowers from a close-up perspective in this extraordinarily colorful field.

Eventually, I did add a few golden colors to warm it up a bit, but I wanted the overall effect to be inspired from a primarily cool palette.

Wildflowers under Cloudy Skies
24" x 30"
Acrylic


I really like the way purple and green work together. I think that I shall try more challenges in this color scheme, with energetic brushstrokes to enhance the "loose-ness" of style.

This painting actually took 2 days to complete, as I had to allow some drying before finishing the details of the flowers to circumvent that yucky "muddy" effect.

Again, thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment