Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Painting Myself into a Corner?

Last week I started oil paintings on two separate occasions. Both efforts were unsuccessful in achieving the image that was my goal; that is, the image in my mind's eye.

I would display them here for you, but they are both now nondescript oil smears on stretched canvas...don't know why I am having such trouble concentrating.

The first effort was an attempted figurative painting of a very young child - a baby, really, - that I had decided to paint from a photograph for the new Contemporary Fine Artists' monthly art challenge with "Renewal" as the theme.

I think that my underpainting and initial sketch were both off, leading ultimately to what I perceived as a disastrous result. I think I could have saved it, but I was so unhappy with it, that I simply ended it with an abruptness not usually my style.

The next attempt was also from a photograph...this time a still life of aligned glass bottles. I think that I was too fatigued when I began this painting, and couldn't quite achieve the reflective colors that I had hoped to capture. The results again culminated in an ugly, muddy smear across perfectly innocent white canvas.

After this second frustrating effort, I decided to take a break. I also think that I shall steer away from photographs for a while, and go back to my light box and still life setups until I tear away from this "painter's block" that seems to have me in its selfish grasp. Back again, soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment