Monday, May 23, 2011

Alla Prima Green Leaf Study


I sifted through a number of old photographs until I found this color foliage snap for the leaf close-up study that I had been wanting to paint for several days. I had already given up on the plein aire approach a few days ago because of the intense sunlight and wind that were not conducive to my plans.

I really liked this photo because of the clarity of detail, and subtle color changes.

I chose a limited color palette of oils, along with an 8" x 10" canvas panel. I struggled, in the beginning, with a rather detailed underpainting, then decided that I was fussing too much over the details. It was at this point that I began having fun with the painting, and actually liking the results that I was getting using these predominately cool hues.

Contact me via email with any questions about this painting, or any others that you may be interested in displayed on this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment