Monday, March 7, 2011

The Green Grape Challenge


I used similar tones throughout this painting, as I experimented with this small oil painting, and the light effects.

I set up the grapes in my light box, and started by sketching the grapes on a small stretched 6" x 6" canvas, using brown oil paint. Initially, I wanted to set the grapes on a white plate in the picture, but decided against it, as I wanted to concentrate a singular focus on the grapes.

The final result was a little surprising to me. Although I utilized different colors for the foreground, subject, and background, you can easily see how there is little "drama" in this painting, because of the similarity of the tones. I will re-work this painting for dramatic effect, to enhance the focus on the grapes, which are obviously the intended subject.

I think that this painting actually looks a lot like a watercolor rather than oil painting. I will address this also, in the re-work.

No comments:

Post a Comment