Saturday, April 2, 2011

Light at the End of the Forest

"Light at the End of the Forest"

10" x 14"

Oil on Stretched Canvas

I thought that I needed a change of pace since painting so many still lifes lately. So I went to my favorite old standby...a landscape filled with trees.


But I thought I would try something a little different by using a less traditional landscape color palette. The result was not quite what I had hoped, as the forest looks a little scarier and colder than I would have liked. I also admit that I did not give this painting the time that I could have to make improvements. However, once I let it set for a day or so, the oil was not pliable to my liking, so I decided to move on to another painting challenge.


For me, this is actually progress. I think, as artists, we must accept that sometimes things don't turn out as we envision, and we must smile, scrape off the paint, and start again. Success is great, but finding humor in the unsuccessful is invaluable to our personal growth. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment: