Monday, June 27, 2011

Homage to a Daily Painter


I have been studying photographs lately, and doing several painting sketches in different tones, as a training exercise. As I scrambled around the house this weekend looking for art supplies, I came upon several of my first oil paintings, completed alla prima a while ago.

I remember that an artist friend and teacher told me that I might want to try an exercise that he had found useful...find a painting in a style that you really admire, and would really like to learn, study it, and, to the best of your ability, recreate the original in the same loose brushstroke style...It doesn't have to look identical - in fact, it really shouldn't - because the point is to mimic the brushstroke style that you admire, so that you can use this technique in your own original work.

Of course, this painting isn't for sale - I painted it, but the original inspiration was from another artist - and I regret that I cannot give credit here to that person, as the name was not on the photograph.

But I wanted to share this with you, as a helpful exercise in studying other artists' works for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment